Eleven years after Roy and Wanda Campbell were murdered at their home in Kentucky, their daughter fights for justice

2021-11-24 02:36:22 By : Mr. Jerry lv

Every Thanksgiving, when the family reunite to eat together, Shirley Justin remembers again the loss of her mother-and the tragic way she was killed more than a decade ago.

Shirley tells Dateline that Wanda Feltner Campbell has a caring heart.

The 79-year-old mother and grandmother have been nurses' assistants for more than 30 years. Taking care of others is more than just a job-it is her nature.

"She is so kind to people," Shirley told Dateline. "She will come over and pat your arm, ask how you are, and provide a listening ear or a word of comfort."

Therefore, when Shirley received a call saying that her kind, caring mother and stepfather Roy were shot dead while sitting in a chair in front of the TV at her home in Kentucky, she said the shock was overwhelming.

"Mother and murder should not be used in the same sentence," Shirley said. "But this is what happened. This is a cold-blooded murder. My mother was taken away by us."

It was the Thanksgiving weekend in 2010. This year’s anniversary is the day after Thanksgiving, just like 2010. In the past 11 years, their family's vacation has never been like this.

"That day will be etched in our hearts and minds forever," Shirley said. "Nothing is the same."

Her mother married her friend Roy Campbell in 2008, a well-known Perry County developer, just three years before the murder.

Shirley explained to Dateline that the two and their first spouses, Mildred Campbell and AB Feltner, had been friends for many years.

When her husband died of lung cancer in 2002, Wanda, who retired from work at Mary Breckenridge Hospital, moved to Michigan to be with her two adult children and grandchildren.

But Shirley said that Wanda and Roy's wife passed away a few years ago and they are still very close, and he eventually persuaded her to move back to Kentucky.

"She likes spending time with her family, and her grandchildren," Shirley said. "But she can never get used to the cold. It's too cold for her. So she moved back."

According to an introduction published in the "Lexington Herald Leader" magazine, 81-year-old Roy Campbell is described as "a visionary land developer, but he is happiest when he drives a bulldozer."

Shirley told Dateline that Roy was kind to her mother and she was very happy.

"She's very happy, so I'm very happy too," Shirley said. "Our family has recovered again."

But on the second day after Thanksgiving, their lives were broken.

Kentucky Detective Clayton Stamper told Dateline that the Perry County Sheriff’s officer responded to the couple’s home before 9pm on Friday because a family member asked for benefits after not hearing from them Inspection of. The shutters had been pulled all day, Shirley said it was unusual, and the door was locked. But no one answered the door or the phone.

Detective Stamper was not assigned to the case until many years later, but was on the scene that night and still remembers the scene. He said that when the couple's bodies were found, the state police were called. They were still sitting on chairs in the living room and died of gunshot wounds.

Detective Stamper confirmed that the door was locked, nothing was taken away, and that it was being investigated as a homicide.

Shirley got news about her mother on Saturday morning.

"I just remember screaming," Shirley said, her voice broken. "My mother...among all the people on this earth. Why is she?"

For many years, the state police spent time investigating clues and tracing them, but there has been no answer.

Detective Stamper told Dateline that although there were related persons in the case, there was not enough evidence to make the arrest. There are currently no new leads, but Stamper said he urges the public to call if they have any information.

"I remember being there like yesterday," he said. "This is really tragic. We hope someone can have information that can move the case forward."

Shirley told Dateline that she thought Roy was the target and her mother was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He has a lot of friends and knows a lot of people in town," Shirley said. "But I know there are some conflicts in his development business."

Over the years, the family posted billboards, offered rewards, and asked for help. But Shirley said they can only hope that someone will come forward and help them find peace.

Shirley said: "When my father died, it took him years to say his name or look at his pictures without crying." "But what happened to my mother ruined me."

The case quickly became cold, but Shirley continued to fight. She created a Facebook page "In Wanda Feltner Campbell's Love Memory", where she posted the latest news about the case, photos of her mother, and requests for information.

"We just got to the point where we don't know what to do," Shirley said. "But someone knows something. We just need that person... We need that burden to become so heavy that they have to take it off."

The arrest and conviction of those responsible for the couple’s death will be rewarded.

Shirley said: "We still have a little hope that my mother will get justice." "A little hope that I can have peace...Before I leave this earth, I just want the closure."

Anyone with information about the Roy and Wanda cases can call Kentucky State Police Post No. 13 at (606) 435-6069.

Andrea Cavallier is a digital producer at Dateline NBC.